Tuesday, November 15, 2011

No Response Means No. Rawr.

I'm just going to say a couple of things about all of this No Response Means No/Querying nonsense.

  1. To all of you that are thinking "FORM REJECTIONS TAKE 3 SECONDS YOU LAZY LOUTS": Try 3 seconds...multiplied by hundreds of queries. Every day. That I'm handling at 9 pm. After working all day...not on queries.
  2. No agent has ever argued against multiple submissions.
  3. I'm one of those crazies that actually responds to all of my queries. I have an ungodly number backed up. I work on them every single day. And I have interns who work on them. 3 seconds is not nothing.
But, shoot, if you're still fed up with us, there's always self-publishing, on which I'm teaching a Writer's Digest webinar tomorrow at 1pm. And I'll be offering a critique...to which I promise to respond. Sign up here: http://bit.ly/uM6wOI

2 comments:

  1. And thank you for those responses! I know some agents who don't send rejection letters, but at the very least they post online that they've caught up with queries, so I know I was rejected that way. Otherwise I wonder if, by some wild chance, the query got lost in the interwebs...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can understand about no response meaning no, reading queries has to feel like a needle in a haystack situation to agents. It's wonderful that you still take the time to reply to queries. :) I've received auto replies that confirm the query went through and those are tremendously helpful. I'm also happy to check agent/agency blogs to see their updates on queries up to x date were reviewed.

    ReplyDelete