Facebook has also really blossomed in the last little while. E-commerce through Facebook is starting to pick up (Facebook as another online retailer?? You want to be there). With one-in-every-eight online minutes spent on Facebook, some are saying that Facebook is the internet. It's the new "mall." A one-stop shop for shopping, news, friends' updates, and entertainment.
But isn't Facebook just for the kids? I mean isn't just for college students to post, then untag that pic of them doing a kegstand?
Here're some stats to illustrate:
- Facebook has 750,000,000 users worldwide, 350,000,000 (50%) of which log in every day.
- The average user has about 130 friends. That means that if you have a Fan Page with 50 fans, you're actually reaching, on average, about 5000 people every time you post.
- Facebook is second only to Google in terms of daily traffic.
- Over 50% of Facebook users are over the age of 35. There are about 30 million users in that age range just in the US.
- Books are the third most-liked products on Facebook, after Movies and TV shows (wompwomp)
57% of people--all people--say that they talk more to their friends/family members online than they do in real life.
Bottom line, get on Facebook. But know, before you do, that Facebook isn't magic, any more than anything else online. You have to be smart about planning a strategy.
In the next post, we address how you should get on Facebook. Posting schedules, types of content, and the like.
Anyone out there already on Facebook as a Fan Page, not a personal Profile?